National Youth Day is celebrated on 12 January being the birthday of Swami Vivekananda. It was a decision of Government of India taken in 1984 to celebrate the birthday of great Swami Vivekananda, i.e. 12 January, as National Youth Day every year.
The Government of India quoted that ‘ the philosophy of Swamiji and the ideals for which he lived and worked could be a great source of inspiration for the Indian Youth Day.
Swami Vivekananda: The Great Indian Monk
Swami Vivekananda was an Indian Hindu monk. He was a key figure in the introduction of the Indian philosophies of Vedanta and Yoga to the western world.
Swami was born on 12th January 1863 in Calcutta, Bengal Presidency, British India and was born to Vishwanath Datta, who was an attorney at the Calcutta High Court and Bhubaneshwari Devi, who was a devout housewife.
His lectures and writings, deriving their inspiration from Indian spiritual tradition and the broad outlook of his Master Sri Ramakrishna Paramahansa.
I have always idolised Swami Vivekananda and his quotes and life’s philospohy are life savers even in this era, or I would say especially in this era where we lack conviction and determation.
I have his quotes on my desk, whenever I feel low or lack motivation I look upto them.
This post is just my way of paying homage to such a dignified personality and here are his top ten quotes which I love the most.
- “You cannot believe in god until you believe in yourself.”
- “The greatest sin is to think that you are weak.”
- “In one word, this ideal is that you are divine.”
- “Take risks in your life, If you win, you can lead! If you loose, you can guide!”
- “We are ever free if we would only believe it, only have faith enough.”
- “Arise, awake and stop not till the goal is reached.”
- “The power of concentration is the only key to the treasure-house of knowledge.”
- “Have faith in yourselves, great convictions are the mothers of great deeds.”
- “Fill the brain with high thoughts, highest ideals, place them day and night before you, and out of that will come great work.”
- Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life – think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. Let the brain, muscles, nerves, every part of your body, be full of that idea, and just leave every other idea alone. This is the way to success.
Also read: 10 quotes to lift your mood
Swami Vivekananda was a man of words. He emphasized the importance of coming together for the betterment of society. He was responsible for the foundation of the Ramakrishna Mission. He traveled to several Western countries for spreading the goals and missions of the Ramakrishna Mission.
Much love and gratitude