Have you ever come across a self-driven, self-obsessed, ‘I am the best’ attitude carrier and someone who boasts his/her grandiosity all the time?
On the 14th Day of #BlogChatterA2Z Challenge, Let’s discuss how to spot a narcissist in your life and how to deal with them. #26days26ways
What is Narcissism?
It is a Personality disorder in which a person has an inflated sense of self-importance, self-adulation, self-absorption, and self-entitlement.
In today’s selfie-obsessed and ‘flaunt your best’ culture the word narcissism gets tossed around very easily describing someone who is full of themselves. But in psychological terms, narcissism doesn’t mean self-love.
It’s more accurate to say that people with narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) are in love with an idealized image of themselves. And they’re in love with this inflated self-image precisely because it allows them to avoid deep feelings of insecurity. But propping up their delusions of grandeur takes a lot of work—and that’s where the dysfunctional attitudes and behaviors come in.
How to spot a Narcissist in your life?
- Who needs constant attention and admiration.
- Who thinks they’re better than everyone else.
- Who dishes out insults and condescension, but flies off the handle at the slightest disagreement or whiff of criticism.
- Exploits others without guilt or shame.
- Sense of entitlement.
How to deal with a Narcissist?
Just when you know, you are dealing with one Naracccist in your life, you need to:
- Maintain a healthy boundary
- Don’t take anything personally
- Don’t share much about your achievements and success with them
- Be easy and calm while talking to them.
- Be patient and avoid arguments.
I know it’s hard, we tend to take a load of a lot of things personally but it is a personality trait of the person which can hardly be altered. So just to protect yourself from their power plays, and stress, establish healthier boundaries, look for other friends, keep a distance.
Reference: Narcissistic Personality Disorder
Much love and gratitude
The #BlogchatterA2Z series is building up right here 🙂